Several types of federal funds are allocated to Utah each year by Congress for use on transportation facilities in the rural and small urban areas of the state. In addition to these funds, specific dollars are also set aside for bridges on the local system in all areas of the state.
The Joint Highway Committee, made up of representatives from Utah counties and cities, provides coordination and yearly project recommendations to the Utah Transportation Commission for the use of these federal funds. They meet twice a year and give their project recommendations each spring; recommendations for the use of state provided state park access funds is also given.
The Joint Highway Committee administers the following specific highway funds:
- STP Non-Urban Funds – Areas less than 5,000 population (Programmed through 2023)
- TAP Small Urban Funds – Areas between 5000-50,000 population (Program closed until further notice)
- TAP Non-Urban Funds – Areas less than 5,000 population (Program closed until further notice)
- State Park Access Funds – Facilities accessing State Parks (Programmed through 2023) Must be one of several specific facilities identified in Utah Code, 72-3-202 through 72-3-206
- Off-System Bridge Funds – Bridges on local/rural minor collector roads (Program closed until further notice)
- STP Small Urban Funds – Areas between 5,000-50,000 population (Programmed through 2022)